12.22.2008

Jim's Cure for the Common Carol

I must confess: I've never been a fan of Christmas carols. Many are played ad nauseum, most are intensely sappy, and from November on, they're fairly omnipresent. Bring me the head of Dominick the Christmas Donkey!

Ahem. Anyway, while I don't particularly enjoy this branch of music, I do love a variety of music -- and many of my favorite artists have both tackled traditional tunes and come up with their own original songs. And so, many years, ago, I made a mix cd called The Cure for the Common Carol, my alternative music collection for a stereotypical time of year. There have been countless Christmas albums since I made my mix, but I believe it holds up very well. If you can find these songs, enjoy!

James Lynch

* * *

The Cure for the Common Carol

The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack: What's This?
The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl: Fairytale of New York
Kate Bush: December Will Be Magic Again
Aimee Mann and Michael Penn: Christmastime
The Arrogant Worms: Santa's Gonna Kick Your Ass
Fountains of Wayne: I Want an Alien for Christmas
Graham Parker: Christmas Is for Mugs
Enya: Oiche Chiun (Silent Night)
Syd Straw: Christmas Twist
Blink-182: I Won't Be Home for Christmas
South Park: Christmastime in Hell
Robert Downey, Jr.: River
Dar Williams: The Christians and the Pagans
The Kinks: Father Christmas
"Weird Al" Yankovic: Christmas at Ground Zero
The Pretenders: 2000 Miles
XTC: Thanks for Christmas
John Wesley Harding: Talking Christmas Goodwill Blues
Frank Zappa: Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
Cocteau Twins: Frosty the Snowman
John Wesley Harding: When Southern Bells Ring (Here Comes XMas)
Shawn Colvin: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

No comments: